Monday, August 24, 2009

Something33 Process Works

Hey there. Welcome to another episode of 'Process Works'.

Today I'll be explaining... aw fuck it. It's process works, you know what it does.

Premise: Well, it's 'something' series. No explaination needed. I however did start on this so I can have it used for an article for IFX magazine.


Let's begin.

So from the get go I pretty much knew what the whole scene was going to be. No 'adding' stuff as I go or anything like that. BAM, and I got the basic concept laid in.
At this point in time I was on a creative high with one-a-day series, producing work almost every day. But this piece was my full-scenary piece in a long while so I knew it was going to take some careful planning.

The scene is pretty much a one-point perspective scene, but I tilted the horizontal axis to give a bit more depth to its dimentions.

Once I have the basic sketches down, I fade them out a bit so I can draw over it, defining objects and lines further.

More details and defining.

I originally intended this scene to be quite busy, containing hundreds if not thousands of people in the distance, and at least just as many in the foreground. That obviously didn't work out in the end and I was forced to remove much of the added characters.

Some minor detail changes here.

Once I realized the scene was way too crowded for its own good, I proceeded onto removing the distraction factors: Unnecessary character placements and unrelated character placed on the same axis (e.g. the girl coming out of the door and goths girls walking down the street on a similar plane)

Now that I have the character placement I want, I have them on a separate layer but hidden for now. It is the time for background details.

BOOM, and color. Making mistakes with initial color is prevalent in my works, so I usually correct them later via post-processing methods. I'm getting much better at this so I can do without post processing most of the time now.

So here I attempt to move away from blue dominant scene to more realistic mix of colors.

Of course by now (if you've been reading my articles) you know I merge all my layers every once in a while. I have them merged and I use color balance on them to bring out more red in mid-tone areas, and a bit more blue in darker areas. It usually works the best that way.

Just a bunch of detail works here. Shadow plays a big role (of course) so you want to get their color right. If the object is glass or of reflective quality, you may want to have that implemented properly. I also lay the foundation for what will become the sidewalk blocks, but I forego explaining that part. I already did a Q&A on that in IFX magazine. I'll probably do a separate tuts for it later someday.

More details... Man, I'm running out of things to say.

You see on the truck's side I've drawn in those little groove lines. I actually just copy and pasted the first line that I painted, and used free transformation tool to make them fit. Works wonders.

D-tales (lolz)

Like how I'm running out of things to say, I was frequently running out of ideas for building designs. It's easy to make them look cheesy and it's hard to make them look convincing - and yet they all have to look different to some degree (unless it's Mirror's Edge).

Those checkboard tiles above the yellow banner was quite a pain in the ass. I had to manually draw all the lines first and fill them in. Now that I look at it, I should've just made a flat texture and pasted them. Goddamn.

Now that I feel the BG is reasonably finished, I bring back the character layer to work on the character lines and colors. I don't usually work with the cell painting style but something tempted me to give it a try. Whether it was a success or not is up to you, the readers.

But then even my cell painting process is more like just painting. I only have one single layer below the line layer for me to color the characters (besides BG). I literally have to draw, erase and repeat to get the clean lines and color edges.

Furthering character details... Cell painting is a tough stuff. You can never be loose with it.
Final few characters that survived the deletion are now added in as well. Ironically it was all the men chars that were removed (and rightfully pointed out by my watchers). This wasn't intended to be a all-girl's town. There 'were' men. lol

Few minor relocations and added details.

Moar details

Here I begin working on the electrical lines starting from the far side - where details are mostly done and will no longer need touches. I achieve the clean lines by using warp tools and free transformation tools. Well, it isn't that clean but looks pretty good once you reduce the image size.

You can see the tall building by the far side - I basically duplicated the first building to fill in for the next 2. I try to use copy & paste the best I can if I can.

My inside joke time. Think of it as a little cherry on the cheesecake.

More electrical lines in the foreground. I use the same technique mentioned above. Some lines came out too thick so I manually erase them.

Last of the details are added along with a finishing touch. There's not much left to do.

And then my usual OH SHIT moment. I usually forget a thing or two by the end of the painting - which usually force me to open photoshop again to fix it. This time it was the road lines.

Now it's really finished.

Larger file above as usual. Blogspot keeps resizing my pics so I'm unable to show you really large pics (and I'm way too lazy to upload them separately and have them linked here.) But the pic here should be of fairly decent size.

I hope you enjoyed it. Until next time then.